April 15th- April 21st "Week #9"

Mileage for the Year 2013
1,024 miles

Mileage for the week 4/15- 4/21
100 miles

4/21
17 miles (12 @ Marathon Pace)

I had a good workout today.  It was very warm in my garage and sweat was everywhere.  I had to use a towel 4-5 times to wipe myself and the screen on treadmill.  I started pretty conservative because I wanted to make sure I wasn't over my head, but I felt very very comfortable.  The heat got to me more than anything.  Good confidence boost half way through my marathon training program.  Here it is:

3 mile warm-up w/ striders
12 miles @ Marathon Pace (7 @ 5:49, 3 @ 5:46, 5:42, 5:39)
2 mile cool down

4/20
8 miles w/ 6 x 100 meter striders

Recovery pace run with some striders thrown in towards the end.  Felt pretty good. Gonna have a big workout tomorrow of 17 miles with 12 @ Marathon pace. Excited for it.  I'm in pretty good shape.

4/19
18 miles (5am/13pm)

Easy recovery before school today.  Felt good, but tired.

After school I ran my Boston prep route and an extra mile.  Felt better as I ran and it was sunny out!!!! Started at 7:30 pace and progressed down to 6:10 pace.

4/18
12 miles (6am/6pm)

Both super easy recovery pace again.  Feeling really good.

4/17
20 miles (15am/5pm)

Ran from the Post office to totem and back and then another shorter out and back to get 15.  I felt pretty darn good.  I through in 6 x 2min @ 5K pace with about 1:30- 1:45 rest.  I started these at mile 6.  Wanted to get some faster stuff in during my marathon buildup since I'm running the heart run next weekend.

Easy easy 5 in the evening.

4/16
13 miles (7am/5pm)

Both recovery pace again.  Ran before school this morning and felt good.  It was nice to not have to run during lunch.  Afternoon run was right after school before I picked up my daughter.  Nice to have back to back recovery days after sunday's long run.

4/15
12 miles (5am/7pm)

Both were easy recovery pace.  I was very sore when I woke up this morning.  Warmed up as the day went along though.  Felt good and in shape running!

3 comments:

SteveC702 said...

Hey, been following this blog for awhile and meant to say hi earlier. What marathon are you training for? Any chance you are running Moose's Tooth and want to take a stab at sub-2:30 together?

-Steve

Tom Ritchie said...

Hey Steve! I'm training for Mayors Marathon here in Anchorage. I'm glad you were safe in Boston. I definetly plan on going back next year 2014 when I'm 40! I'm also probably going to run Equinox again so I'm out of Mooses Tooth. Good luck!

SteveC702 said...

Thanks Tom. I am definitely running Boston again next year as well. Your comment about turning 40 reminded me of a race report I read 2 years ago by someone who ran 2:33 and barely missed finishing top 10 in the 40-49 age group, so I think you have a good shot at a top-10 Boston finish in your new age class.

P.S. Looks like you are getting in some really good training and put down a pretty solid 5K this past weekend. Keep up the good work man.

About Me

My photo
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Age- 41 Occupation- Phy Ed/Athletic Director/Wrestling Coach @ South Anchorage High School

Blog Archive